Photography

Welcome!

Contact me



Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Missing...

When I moved to Cincinnati Scott had 2 dogs. Griffey and Buddy. He'd had Buddy for years and had just gotten Griffey a year or so prior. He adopted Griffey because he'd heard his owners were going to take him to the dog pound if anyone didn't adopt him.

Buddy was alot older than Griff so I kinda paid more attention to Buddy than I did to Griffey. Buddy was a small poodle and would get up on my lap on the couch and cuddle with me. Griffey was part Lab and Beagle and weighed around 80 lbs or so.

Well one day Scott said to me... "do you realize how much Griffey loves you". I had no idea.. so I started watching how Griffey acted when I was around. Well I don't think any animal has treated me the way Griffey did.. From that day on.. he was my Grifford.

About a year or so later Scott and I were in the dining room working on something at the table when Griffey had his first seizure. We weren't sure exactly what was happening. We thought he was dying. We took him to the Vet and found out he had Epilepsy. They wanted to put him on Pheonabarbital, but we chose not to do that at the time. A few weeks or so later, he had another one. We once again took him to the Vet and had them start him on the medication. He was not himself the first few days until his body got used to the Pheonabarbital. He still had seizures but not as bad and far between. He would go a month or two without having one. But when he did.. he always had more than one. I hated it....

As time passed, the seizures became worse..he would sometimes have 4 or 5 in a row, sometimes more.... Every time he had a seizure his brain would learn how to have a better one. We hated seeing him go through this, but 95% of the time he was fine.

One year ago today, he had 10 seizure within about a 6 hour period during the night. He couldn't even get up off the kitchen floor.. he was totally exhausted. We both knew the time had come.. we couldn't let Griffey go through this any longer....

Scott, T'angela and I took him to the vet to have him put to rest. It was a hard, hard day.....

I cry at the drop of a hat and do not consider myself to be a very strong person when it comes to things like people dying and such. I stood next to the table where Griffey layed as they administered the medication into his system. I talked to him while stroking his head. I told him what a good boy he was...how he wasn't going to be in any pain anymore... how he'd see Buddy soon.. how he could chase all the squirrels he wanted too (yes Scott I'm crying).. I talked and petted him until after he took his last breath....it was very very hard....

We miss you Grifford.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

  • Whole30 Week 1 check-in - Well, I have successfully made it to Day 7 without killing anyone. I did have one fight with the husband but that probably would've happened whether I was ...
    10 years ago